Thai Nguyen University of Medicine and Pharmacy was established in 1968. Located in Thai Nguyen City, Thai Nguyen University of Medicine and Pharmacy is the only medical university in Northern Mountainous Area (NMA) of Vietnam. The University has made great contribution to training health personnel with graduate and postgraduate qualifications, serving a total population of 15 million people in the areas and throughout Vietnam. Apart from full time programs, Thai Nguyen University of Medicine and Pharmacy also offer nursing clinical placement for international students.
To give the Nurse Intern an opportunity to experience a realistic working environment as a nurse.
To give the Nurse Intern an opportunity to gain experience in an employment situation in a healthcare setting.
To provide insight into the practice of professional nursing.
By the end of the program, the student nurse intern will be able to realize enhanced skill development and critical thinking. The clinical and professional objectives are:
1) Complete successfully didactic programs, return demonstrations of skills, and unit-specific checklist requirements relevant to the assigned area of nursing.
2) Demonstrate an understanding and ability to apply critical thinking skills to clinical practice.
3) Integrate knowledge from the liberal arts, sciences, humanities, and nursing when assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating nursing care for individuals.
4) Demonstrate growth in the ability to perform physical assessments, develop and implement plans of care, identify patient outcomes, and evaluate patient responses.
5) Demonstrate an ability to work with others in a positive and effective manner.
Ongoing Orientation with the supervisor.
Each Student Nurse Intern will complete a skills checklist.
Temporary position – part time – a maximum of 40 hours a week.
The program may last from 2 weeks to 10 weeks (between September – January or March – June every year).
May request observation time in areas of interest, i.e., Dialysis Unit, Surgery, or any unit to which the Student Nurse Intern is not assigned.
Student Nurse Intern will work under the agreed schedule in advance. This may include:
• Being on duty with the Nurse Mentor.
• Floating to units with the Nurse Mentor as the need exists at the discretion of the Nurse Director/Manager.
School uniform is required whenever having internship at practice hospital.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction and supervision of a Nurse Mentor, the Nurse Intern:
1) Provides nursing care for patients’ altered needs.
2) Assists the patient with daily hygiene, mobility and altered needs.
3) Assists the patient with nutrition and elimination needs.
4) Obtains and documents patient data and information.
5) Assists with or performs nursing procedures and tasks as directed.
6) Helps maintain a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
7) Participates in Student Nurse Intern activities which promote continued professional growth and competency.
Coordinating with the Director/Manager of their assigned Unit/ Department in developing evidence based project for their area of placement. The project should be based on a quality improvement initiative and will be presented by the Student Nurse Intern during their last week of the summer program.
The Student Nurse Intern is not allowed to:
• Administer medications independently.
• Take physician orders.
• Transcribe or check off orders.
• Make admission assessments/ discharge summaries
• Currently enrolled in a BSN program.
• Completed junior year of BSN program.
• Satisfactory academic record (3.0 GPA).
• Recommended by the current enrolled school.
• Be influent in speaking English
40 US dollars/internship week (40 hours/week)
• Intensive Care
• Emergency Department
• Internal Medicine
• Mental health
All interns will receive an evaluation in the last week of every clinical rotation. This will be measured according to the predetermined objectives. Frequent practical examinations will be done on their practical aspects of work to evaluate their performance. Their total score should be more than 60 % in order to pass the evaluation. Interns who fail in the evaluation will have to repeat the area and will continue until the intern shows satisfactory in her work and meet the expected standards.
• Application form
• Recommendation letter from the current enrolled school
• Current copy of school transcript
• Scan of passport
Application is required to be sent 3 months prior to the expected internship commencement date.
For questions, please contact:
Office of International Cooperation.
Thai Nguyen University of Medicine and Pharmacy
284 Luong Ngoc Quyen str., Thai Nguyen City, Vietnam.
NURSING INTERNS WITH US