Description of the program
The training program for Specialist Doctor level I Obstetrics and Gynecology is a typical postgraduate program in the health sector. The program aims to improve the professional qualifications, especially practice skills in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Thai Nguyen University of Medicine and Pharmacy has offered the training program for Specialist Doctor level II in Obstetrics and Gynecology since 1990. There have been 40 doctors who graduated from the program. These graduates are working at health facilities and applying well what they obtained from the program.
A specialist doctors level II in obstetrics and gynecology has the following duties:
• Provide counselling, health education in reproductive health
• Provide pregnancy healthcare management, care and management of normal, difficult and abnormal pregnancies
• Provide examination, diagnosis and treatment for gynecological diseases, and reproductive assistance
• Perform specialized operations and procedures in OB/GYN (interventions in deliveries: abortion, cesarean surgery on patients with old surgical scars, partial and complete hysterectomy, surgical removal of ovarian tumor stick, ectopic cystic hematoma, intra-abdominal pregnancy, surgery in genital cancers)
• Organize and manage professional activities at district, provincial or national hospitals
• Coordinate with local authorities to implement reproductive healthcare programs at community
• Be able to use a foreign language in searching professional document or references and be proficient in application of information technology into management and study
To be admitted into the program, learners have to meet the requirements of the university’s selection process. The program is taught in Vietnamese. Variety of teaching methods are used in the program, in which theory and practice in the specialized modules are organized together. The methods used to teach theory are presentation, discussion and case study while the practice part is delivered through bedside teaching, discussion, and coaching at practical facilities.
Employment after completing the program
After graduation from the program, learners can continue working in medical institutions to become a medical specialist (obstetricians in OB/GYN department at general hospitals of all levels). They can be appointed to be the heads or deputy heads of department, directors or deputy directors of hospitals or health centers.
The graduates from the program also have other career opportunities such as lecturers or policy advisers in hospitals or government offices.
Next levels of study: After graduation, learners can study to improve their qualifications to Doctor of Philosophy in OB/GYN